Colorado lawyers are among those ready to lend a hand to the survivors of Colorado’s recent storms and flooding. The Colorado Bar Association Disaster Relief Program is gearing up to offer no-cost, disaster-related legal advice to those impacted in Adams, Boulder, Clear Creek, El Paso, Larimer, and Weld Counties. The CBA and its Young Lawyers Division, Colorado Legal Services, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, and several local bar associations are partnering in this effort with FEMA and the ABA Young Lawyers Division.
“I’m proud to see attorneys from across the state stepping up to lend a hand to their fellow Coloradans and hope we can offer some assistance during these tragic events,” said Colorado Bar Association President Terry Ruckriegle.
Victims seeking legal advice can visit www.ColoFloodLegalRelief.org to complete a legal assistance form or call the toll-free helpline at 855-424-5347 24 hours a day. Those seeking assistance are asked to provide as many details about their situations in the online form or message as possible. Applications of victims seeking help will be reviewed to determine the areas in which they need assistance and then paired with a volunteer attorney who has experience in those areas of the law. This free service begins immediately.
The type of legal assistance available includes:
- Assistance with securing FEMA and other government benefits available to disaster survivors
- Assistance with life, medical and property insurance claims
- Help with home repair contracts and contractors
- Replacement of wills and other important legal documents destroyed in the disaster
- Assisting in consumer protection matters, remedies and procedures
- Counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems
- Counseling on landlord/tenant problems
Attorneys wishing to help should complete the online form at ColoFloodLegalRelief.org/volunteer. Attorneys are needed to provide assistance in many areas of the law, and volunteer opportunities are available in person in several counties or by phone.